Monday, December 8, 2008

TRADITIONAL TREE


Our Christmas tree is not a beautifully decorated tree with matching shiny ornaments, one color scheme or themed as I have seen in department stores and other peoples homes. We call it the "traditional tree". It's filled with ornaments that we as a family have collected or made over the years. Every year the girls get all the ornaments out one by one and "ooh" and "aah" and remember. They always linger on a few special ones they have loved more than the others and gently try to find just the right spot on the tree for it. I even have a few favorites. There are the ones that Dave and I made by hand and gave away as gifts to family and friends, mementos of trips we have taken, some the girls made in school and some that bring me back in time to when we started as a family. This year I gave a brief thought to having a more "glamorous" tree with matching balls and ribbon and lights and flowers but I would have been sad to see our ornaments sit in a box untouched for the year. I didn't even bring it up to the girls and I'm sure the idea would have been vetoed quickly. We love our tree and all that it represents, of course the Christmas tree and ornaments and bows and candy canes all have their own symbolism's but really, our "traditional tree" symbolizes FAMILY to us.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

Shannon I had no idea you guys had a blog. It'll be fun to catch up with you via blogging, when I don't get to chit chat with you at church.

Traditional trees are the best kind. So many memories and I love the eclectic look too. I can't wait until my kids start making ornaments and such and I can save them and eventually start a tree like that.

Thanks so much for all your compliments, you are so sweet. Photography is so fun to do, don't you think? Even though I like doing child studio sessions waaaaaaay better than I do family sessions. From what I hear you do photo sessions as well, right?