Tuesday, February 3, 2009

SCHOOL LUNCHES

I know its sounds ridiculous but I take pride in my girls sack lunches. Ammah has been taking them to school for 12 years now and believe it or not...it's her choice. Now that she is a Senior I figured she would go out more often with her friends to local fastfood places but she actually prefers my sack lunches to greasy cheesy pizza and hamburgers and french fries. Maybe all my talk of calories, protien, fats and fiber are sinking in. The past few years we have decided to ditch the actual lunch boxes that come in so many styles and colors and have opted for the much prettier "brown paper bag". To show my love for each girl I often decorate their bags with pictures of hand drawn flowers, trees, hearts, their names, special or nick names and even once spelled out their name and what each letter meant to that daughter. Sometimes I stamp them and once in a while I purchase pretty colored paper bags. What ever they look like I hope they feel the love that goes into them every morning. I often ask the girls "Did you enjoy your lunch today?"

A list of the girls favorite lunch items:
1. Fresh baked muffins
2. sliced up oranges
3. cheese sticks
4. pb and apple slices
5. pbj's
6. carrot and celery sticks
7. apple juice boxes
8. home made soft cookies (some to share too please)
9. sandwiches with the works. ie.. mustard, lettuce, tomatoes and pickle.
10. any sandwhich on white bread (mom prefers wheat)
11. pretzels, cheezits, raisins and prunes (yes prunes)

5 comments:

sarahtuckett said...

you are a super mom with those bags.... very classy. We missed your girls this morning.

diana said...

wow.

i'm totally impressed and inspired by you.

i hope i can take the time to be as cute of a mom as you are.

Leah Martineau said...

So fun!! Yes I think that is wonderful that you have taught your girls to be healthy. Seriously that says alot. I totally am going to try and have my kids take lunches. From Jr. High all through Highschool I ate french fries and dipped it in nachos cheese sauce. So bad for me and I don't want my kids eating that way. Thanks for being awesome!!!

nicole said...

i must admit, this made me a little teary eyed. reminded me of my mom when i was growing up. she oftentimes put a little not inside our lunches expressing her love to us. my brother and i are the only ones (of the 7 kids) that got to enjoy her sack lunches for the full 12 years. luckily, after she passed, my dad stepped right into her shoes for my siblings.
your girls are very blessed to have you, miss shannon. what a wonderful mother you are.

Alisa said...

I CANNOT believe your girls! They're so grown up! And beautiful! I love it! We haven't seen you guys in forever. I know I speak for Joey too when I say LETS GO OUT! We seriously need to go to dinner and catch up!

By the way....way to go on the lunches. My pet peeve is how unhealthy the school lunches are. All fried food...yuck.