Thursday, November 6, 2008

Politics

I've never really been much for getting rilled up about politics but this election year has been different for me. I talked to my girls about the elections and all 3 girls had the opportunity to participate in a school vote. Ammah and Andelyn voted for Mc Cain and Amelia voted for Obama. I asked each girl for their reasons and was surprised at how much Ammah and Andelyn knew about the Republican and Democrat voting. Amelia on the other hand just stated that all the other kids in her class voted for Obama cause everyone else was. We had a short talk about basic beliefs and choices. I think she has changed her mind and was sad to hear that everyone else in our family had voted for Mc Cain except for her. She is still not getting it. At eight years old that's ok.
Anyway. This is leading me to my first ever post! A letter I wrote to Oprah Winfrey. I thought I would post it and just put my thoughts out there.
Dear Oprah,
I've never written a celebrity a letter before and in writing to you now I would have thought it would be about how much I have enjoyed your shows for the past 20 years.

That's not what this letter will be about. This election year with you has been way too much. You are not a politician and I do not think it is your place with the power that has been given to you by the people who love and watch you to cram Mr. Obama down our throats. I admittedly watched the show where you introduced him and his wife Michelle this past year and I thought he was a nice man with a promising career in politics. I did not think he would be running against Mc Cain in the end though. I did not think he had enough time qualifications and experience serving the people of the US yet. Now here we are with him as a president.
Fine.. Okay. I'll get over the disappointment like I did when we elected Bill Clinton twice. When Bill won, I was sad but felt that everything would be okay and he would do a decent job. Aside from being a liar and a cheater I guess he did well enough. But now with Obama. I'm not allowed the decency to be sad.. There you are in prime TV. Cramming more of Obama down my throat. Fortunately for me I can turn off the TV. Which I have done often over the past few weeks to get away from all the hype over his election. You Oprah should think about the millions of fans out there and step back from your political soap box and get back to what you know best. Entertainment! And helping people. We need time to lick our wounds with out you throwing it in our faces anymore! It would also be nice to not see all the news shows with predominantly black churches holding “praisathons” for Obama. It's not like when we elected white presidents you saw white people speaking in an eloquent fashion to" pass the grey poupon, we have elected yet another white President". It's not about COLOR! For now - I'm mad at you and will not watch your show during my daily run/walks on the treadmill at the gym. That makes me sad. I feel like I can not trust you. You use your celebrity status to get what you want without disregard for what other people feel would be best for this country. I feel like you just don't care about the losers. That's not like you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations new blogger!!! I hope you have as much fun as I do.... Love ya.